Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Lover's Day is Done

Musecatto here,

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day, whatever that may be for you.

For me, Valentine's Day might as well just be any other calendar day.  Not that I don't believe in love, but I never embraced the idea of a holiday celebrating the commercialization/commodification of love.  Even so, I completely support the expression of love and respect those who use this occasion to show their genuine admiration and appreciation for someone.  

Be it fortunate or unfortunate, I haven't experienced love yet in my "young life."  No worries, though.  Being a naturally introverted person, I've always been comfortable spending V-Day watching TV, doing chores, surfing YouTube, and just relaxing (how I spent today).  I think when you are comfortable ENOUGH with yourself, you can avert the feelings of dependence, loneliness, and longing that this "holiday" often inspires.

The key word, though, is "enough."  We all, to a degree, are comfortable and content with who we are.  But whether or not we've reached the important "enough" threshold is revealed in how we respond on days like today.  

The Scenario:
The country is celebrating love and relationships.  People are kissing, hugging, eating romantic dinners, and sharing roses and candy.

The Question: 
Taking all the excitement and festivities in, do you feel compelled to participate in V-Day or are you truly comfortable being the removed spectator?

My 2 Cents:
Call me naive, but I think the people who first serve as the comfortable spectators later become the lucky ones.  They are the ones who will ultimately find the true kind of "Love" that endures beyond the 24 hours of Valentine's Day.  

Don't rush it.  Love yourself and another's love will find you


Be well.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites