Friday, February 20, 2009

What's Your Position?

This week's topic is in the realm of sexuality with a spotlight on homosexuality.

I didn't really have exposure to homosexuality until high school. Television growing up kind of shied away from this topic. When Ellen came out, it was such a big deal to everyone. I didn't think it was so newsworthy. I still don't think that famous people coming out is really that big of a deal. Or rather, I don't think it should be a big deal to the general public. 1. It's a private matter. 2. Be tolerant, people.

I preach tolerance. I practice acceptance. I'm not saying I'm perfect and practice it to the T or even close to it. But I expect, at the very least, tolerance from myself and others.

One of the many things about sexuality that I find intriguing is gays in the "'hood."

I'm friends with one...I don't want to say "unsavory" character... because believe me, he's VERY savory. YUMmmmMMmmM! 6'6", solidly built, and gorgeous. But, he's had a few run-ins with the law. He is NOT the type to be all over myspace with pictures of guns, stacks of cash, random drug paraphernalia, and naked bitches up the wazoo. Virtual thugs...lol there's a whole OTHER conversation to be had about THAT! hahahaha

My dude, let's call him Enigma, is an atypical man of the "streets." Or at least he doesn't conform to the stereotypical "thug." There are many things about him that surprise me and keep me titillated.

He is very secure about his sexuality. Some people say he's gay because: He dresses well. He takes great care of his hygiene. He isn't afraid to talk to girls about skin care or their man's anatomy. But, he's straight. I'm not sure what these other people consider straight. Is he supposed to be a lice-ridden slob that talks about pussy all day everyday? Please. Put down your webcam and get real.

We've had a few conversations about homosexuality. And while he's not cool with the idea of it (yucky and not at all for him), he is tolerant. He has even come to the defense of a few gay men he knows. In one situation he talked about, he tried to get one of his boys to get a grip on himself because his boy's little brother is gay. His boy had beat up his brother, F'd him up bad enough to land him in the hospital, and threatened to hang him off the roof because he was so disgusted with homosexuality. So Enigma kissed another guy on the lips (no tongue) and asked his boy if he would do all that ish to him. Would he treat Enigma the way he treats his own little brother? No. His boy would not mess with Enigma the way he did with his little brother. The guy probably didn't stop emotionally or physically abusing his brother but at least he hasn't put him in the hospital again.

There was another situation where a male acquaintance of Enigma's was being ridiculed and ostracized for cross-dressing. Enigma didn't like the way his friends were treating this guy and they wouldn't stop being assholes about it so Enigma wore a skirt and went around the neighborhood (read: NOT the village) like that all day. Nobody tried to mess with him. I guess his point was proven because his friends stopped being a dick to the cross-dresser. However, Enigma did stop being so nice to the cross-dresser after the guy made a pass at him. It didn't sit so well with him.

He was extreme to prove a point. But he'll draw the line at actually shagging a man.

So what do you think? What would you do in his situation? How far would you go to prove a point? What are you willing to put on the line in the defense of another person?

1 comment:

  1. Great questions, Gotham. I definitely wouldn't rock a skirt and walk around a "neighborhood," haha.

    I think to each his/her own. You have to play to your personal strengths when defending someone's dignity/humanity. Enigma was physically and subsequently ideologically respected. With me, I've tried/am trying to develop my ideology to where it can stand alone and garner respect - words, and the careful expression of them, work wonders! Not all situations allow you to make a visible retort...

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites