Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Guy Incog - Who am I?

My moniker on the interwebs is usually Alpha & Omega. That speaks volumes about me I suppose.

I used to write bad poetry then I matured a bit and transitioned to writing bad short stories. With any luck, in a few years I'll be transitioning to writing bad legal briefs and being paid vast amounts of money in exchange. Law school was a natural choice for me. I like long hours, sitting in one spot, and arguing over minutiae until my opponent is reduced to a wasted husk of his former self.

That last point cannot be overstressed. My closest friends have almost uniformly refused to ever debate things with me again. They say that discussions are not a battle but rather an exchange of ideas. I feel that if you're willing to say something, be prepared to throw down. You think that Bush is the worst president ever? I will go after your premise. I will go after your supporting facts. I will mention that C you got freshman year in a course related to the subject and raise the point that your dad's drinking problem might be clouding your judgment. Somewhere in the middle of the histrionics people tend to realize that they should probably just keep their unsolicited opinions to themselves.

Of course, that is ancillary to the real reason I'm going to law school. Once you graduate from college and hit the real world, you learn very quickly that money can in fact buy happiness. Anyone who tells you differently is either rich themselves or on powerful hallucinogens. Money can even buy love, or at least something that approaches it so closely that you, for all intents and purposes, will never be able to tell the difference.

Now, the thing about me is, the person I am today actually is a step forward from the man I used to be. Have you ever had a flashback from a crazy night and cringed? The other day, I was reading an excerpt from a journal that I used to keep. I can only describe the entire event as a shitstorm. At least these days I'm responsible, remember what I do on weekends, and don't leave psyches shattered in my wake, irretrievably altered.

5 comments:

  1. You wrote: "money can in fact buy happiness. Anyone who tells you differently is either rich themselves or on powerful hallucinogens. "

    Shouldn't you listen to the rich people, as they are speaking from experience? They know because they've been there, and you're just guessing.

    *Readers will quickly discover that our views are at odds quite often, haha*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to know, Guy...Have you tried arguing with a certain volume enhanced prancing member of our college group? As of now, I know of myself to be the only person to outshout him in an argument. I only needed to do that once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post had me laughing because it's true-- money can buy so many things. On the bright side, it really makes you appreciate all the love and friends you didn't have to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muse, do you recall fifteen dollar martinis and twenty five dollar burgers purchased with abandon? Money is the freedom to live life as you choose.

    Gotham, that prancer and I no longer argue by request of everyone else. The collateral damage was simply too high. Do you recall that ridiculous two week argument over sufficient versus necessary or whatever it was? Yelling at each other at the top of our lungs in public. If I recall correctly you took his side ಠ_ಠ

    Shelley, glad you see things my way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i refuse to believe that I took Prancer's side...i actually don't remember that discussion hahahaha

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites