Sunday, February 15, 2009

Approaching the Boiling Point!

Okay, I'm officially frustrated and near my breaking point.

The PR firm that so badly wanted to hire me, just got back to me and said I can be on board as a commissioned salesman. What?!

The email essentially said that they really want to hire me, but the economy is too tough right now.  As consequence, they want to use me as a commissioned sales person... (I don't have formal sales experience).  I don't even think I know enough about their company to complete a sale.

This news comes on the heels of what I thought would SURELY get me the position:

1.  The interview with the company founder went perfectly
2.  I passed the PR written test with flying colors

and finally...

3.  Today, I went OUT OF MY WAY to hook the PR firm up with a new potential client.  The client company is a rising star in the beauty/health product industry and has a passion for community work, similar to the PR firm.   I talked extensively with the company owner about her line of products and community work, and then took another 45 minutes crafting an email proposal to the PR firm's CEO and founder about why they should take on this new client.

Well, the PR firm sure was happy to receive my email!  BUT instead of responding with, "You're hired," they basically said "Thanks so much!  This is great!  Can you find out some more details for us about where the client would like to go?  Consider yourself a commissioned sales rep for us, and if you bring in a few more partners, you'll have a job here."

Once again, I'm fed up with the flattery and the fear of commitment that these businesses are showing me.  Take a risk on a good thing, already!  You want fresh ideas?  You want new talent?  Well, you're going to have to take chances and invest.

Maybe I'm just meant to be a contracted PR/Sales/Multifunctional employee that makes his own path in this world.  If so, the coming months are really going to be a test of my will power and inner strength...and my parent's patience.

It seems that in this day and age, structure, security, and the traditional road are out the window.  

Expectations?  They're going to be hard to hold on to...Oh man, 

...Be well you guys

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites