Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sodom

I entered college a naive, thin, intellectual young man full of curiosity and regard for his fellow man. This lasted roughly two months. I went from breaking-dancing and doing research at leading laboratories in high school to drinking obscene amounts, having zero initiative, and overall learning just how much fun life can really be.

How has college changed me? I gained about 30 pounds. I'd never had to diet before in my life since I ate reasonable meals and exercised regularly in addition to dancing or participating in sports. In college, I ate cookies for 3 meals a day, pizza for the other two, and endeavored to establish a me-shaped indentation in my bed so I could rest more securely as I played video games.

In high school, I was surrounded by intellectual powerhouses and considered myself their peer if not their better. In college, I played Kings and played Kings and played Kings. One term I literally realized towards the end of the term, that I had attended a class where attendance counted a total of two times.

I like to think that I entered college a kinder, gentler soul, only to have the patience poked out of me.

With all of that said, I enjoyed my college experience and treasure the appreciation for vice that I acquired there.

A journal excerpt:

A: You should take up smoking.
Me: I know!! It’s so cheap here. You can get a pack of cigarettes and a lighter for like 50 cents. And I’ll be so much cooler!
A: Yup. And once you start smoking you’ll have completed all the vices.
Me: Not really. I still have to do drugs and prostitution.
A: And incest. Don’t forget about incest.
Me: No… I think I’ll just skip that one…
A: No way! You’ve got to do them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites