Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Not Interested...Thanks Anyway!

My generation is full of assholes and self-centered people...


and I love it!!!!!! We should embrace it. We are the ME ME ME generation. Quite frankly, we just don’t give a damn if it doesn’t have an impact on us. Think about it. Everyone’s out to get us and harm us (which is often true) and everything has to be cutthroat to succeed.


Yesterday, as I was walking downtown, an older gentleman (used loosely) stopped me to chat me up. I had my ‘leave me alone’ face on and rearing to go, but not everyone gets the hint. You should smile more, he said, you have such a beautiful smile. Blah blah blah. All the while, I’m kicking myself for not putting my Zune headphones in and turning my music up. After he got the hint, I did indeed put in my headphones and ignored everyone that stopped me or asked me anything and continued to walk. Granted, I’m just a bitch who doesn’t like talking to random old men that stop me on the street to flirt but, you have to admit that you can’t pass three people on the street without seeing at least one of them with the familiar white headphones in their ears. We don’t care…we don’t want to hear what you have to say…and I love it. The days of being polite, even when you don’t want to, are over. I don’t have to talk to the old woman next to me on the plane and look at pictures of her cats; I just sit down, put my headphones in and close my eyes. I don’t have to listen to the people who scream on the streets about the end of the world coming and that I need to repent. I don’t have to hear cars beeping, sirens, construction, or the general city hubbub.
I can let the sounds of [insert artist name] carry me through the day.


Cell phones are similar. Most people will have a cell phone and an IPOD on them and at any given time, one of the two is active. Now me personally, I try not to use my cell phone in crowded public spaces such as a bus or anything like that. Due to other people’s conversations and general noise, either you can’t hear what that person says or they can’t hear you and you have to be loud as hell. I’d rather not have the whole world in on my conversation. I thought about this yesterday on my long commute home because some annoying ass guy sat behind me and proceeded to talk on his cell phone LOUDLY the entire ride. I mean…I now know this guy’s work and school schedule and what clubs he goes to on weekends. Even the type of men that he likes. Now…when I ride public transportation – such as subways – I expect that I’m going to hear all kinds of crap. But this…this is a more expensive form of transportation. It’s more like a shuttle bus (we pay like $100 a month…opposed to like $50 for MARTA) which is known for being a smooth and quiet ride. Usually the people on there are working adults who are mature and respect others. So the entire bus is dead silent except for this guy. The bus driver politely tells him to be quiet over the intercom…he just talks over her intercom speech and decides to stay at that volume. She tells him again…he’s louder now. A third time…LOUDER. Not to mention this kid has to be on meth. The whole ride, he is kneeing my seat and bumping it much like an excited child does to their parent on the way to the park or something. I tell him to stop several times but he must be too giddy about that cute guy he met and can’t. Needless to say, when he gets up to leave, everyone applauds and shouts “get off the bus!!!!!!” which he doesn’t even hear because he’s so entranced in his conversation.

The more technological this world gets…the less human interaction required there is. We are being moved towards a seemingly anti-social era and I’m not too opposed. Soon we wont actually ever have to set foot in an office (can’t wait- please let that be here by the time I’m done with law school!) or anything like that. Hell…most people date, make friends, keep in touch with old friends, and shop online already…soon we wont have to leave the damn house! The more convenient it is for me…the better!

I guess you can tell that I’m not nostalgic for the pre-internet way of doing things lol. Looking forward to the future!

5 comments:

  1. hmm, I listen to my mp3 player to zone out as well, but your entry makes me reconsider the direction this world is going. I don't welcome it as much as you...seems kinda lonely and insensitive...but hey, we'll see (after all, we'll be there in a decade or so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I just hate people these days and am glad I have to deal with them less and less. Sure...the way things are were probably caused by all of these innovations but it's probably well past "too late" to turn back. Interested to see what's up and coming though (i.e. the telecommute stuff) as I'm not too keen on dragging myself out of bed every morning at 5:30. I don't see how people do this for 30 or 40 years! I'm already ready to quit (seriously considering! LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. DON'T BE ME, SS! LOL. You know what's best for you though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes...my bed. What job can I get that allows you to stroll out of bed around noonish, put up minimal effort all day (which means..ends around four or five), and still make six figures? Anyone wanna give me a hint? That's the perfect job for me.

    I'm searching for another job while I let this one continue on (while trying not to gouge my eyes out from boredom). I'm considering EVERYTHING too because I want something part-time so I can also have a life outside of this whole work thing (and so my schedule can be slightly more flexible). I'd probably pick up a second job for like one or two shifts a week such as waittress or something so I can get some cash on hand and not have to wait for a paycheck. I just need something so I can make some money without hating myself or wanting to die. Got my experience- now must save for law school (if i still wanna go now...jesus...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that we can zone out and not have to deal with other people. It's incredibly helpful when your at work and your co-worker wants to tell you about his/hers precocious daughter, life-partner, 13 cats, etc. I was on a 19 hour bus ride not that long ago and it was fantastic to put my ipod on and forget that there were even other people.

    The flip side to that is People are social creatures. At some point in time we are going to need other people and were going to have a hard time finding them if we are all in our own little worlds. Like i have plenty of friends, but i don't know a single person in my 5 building apartment complex. So if need help moving something i have to call one of them up and have then drive 10 minutes to my house to help me, rather than just knocking next door.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites