Tuesday, March 3, 2009

SNOWDAY!!! *~ happy dance ~*

After surviving the last 5 winters in the tundra (WHY did I not avoid winters in college when off-terms are an option? I DO not know) and finally escaping the perpetual wintry hell, you would think that I would dread a foot of snow dumped on the city over the course of the night.

NOPE!!!
I am STILL a kid at heart. A foot of snow means GOOD NEWS! Now, don't get me wrong. I did NOT go frolic in the snow early yestermorning. I am way too attached to my phalanges to subject myself to frostbite. But I sure was lovin' that 6:30AM text from my teacher friend telling me that it is officially a SNOW DAY!!! She was rather enthused and couldn't go back to sleep. I told her she was silly because the thought of no school was warm enough to lull me RIGHT back to sleep.

No Scho0o0oL! No Sch0o0o0o0o0o0o0oL!!
~ * happy ~ happy * two ~ step * ~
\shimmy/shimmy\~/shake\shake/
NO SCHO0O0O0O0O0O0O0O0OL!!!

Of course, I don't even need to be up all that early on a regular school day since I don't start work until well into the afternoon. But who cares? Who DOESN'T love a snow day?!

Well, I'm sure plenty of people that aren't enrolled at a school or work in a school were kind of peeved about having to trek through the mush. But stop boohooing. It wasn't even THAT much snow. Thank you to all the people that shoveled the sidewalks though! Much appreciated =)

The last snow day I had was in college. And if they closed down MY school, it was SERIOUS. I did a little bit of frolicking and a LOT of shoveling. My poor little Corolla was BURIED. MY POOR BACK! Man, that was a workout!

The funniest snow day was by far the last one in high school. NYC's brilliant Board of Education closed down school two days in a row because the weather forecast showed multiple feet of snow. WAMP WAMP! Not even a melted little flake to color the salt-bleached sidewalk. I'm pretty sure the BoE was embarrassed so they decided against a third snow day. WAMP WAMP Part DEUX!!! BLIZZARD!!! Nothing kept my mom from shipping me off to school that day and nothing stopped me from going buck wild at Battery Park after school armed with nothing more than cheap gloves and a disposable camera (obviously pre-digital camera age).

It was so nice to have one day off and revel in the fact that no boogery kids will be asking me to help them with their homeworks or for permission to use the bathroom. It's also nice to let these kids have a day of fun outside of the classroom. I know what it's like to be in school from 8AM to 6:30PM. It's rough. It is really draining to have to pay attention for so long when the one thing you want to do is just chill out...or wil' out, whichever fits your personality.

I don't think I'll ever stop loving a snow day. A free pass to do absolutely nothing? C'mon. Even a recent grad on the prowl for validating that hard earned college degree can appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites