Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Give us Free! Give us FREE!...wait, no!

If I ever hear the word "freelance" again!

Thanks for telling me how great I am and offering me employment! 

...What? Oh, my bad. Really? I'm going to have to wait around for you to call me at random so that I can work and make money....hmm.  Well, am I guaranteed a certain amount of work? No?

Well, are there benefits? No?

Q: Okay, so basically I'm unemployed still?  
A: You're great! but this position will allow you the FREEDOM to explore additional opportunities!  You'll be working FREElance so you'll have a ton of freedom in addition to a great job.

Hold it - I'm still going to be broke past 2 or even 4 weeks from now with this "job," right?

Then wamp wamp wamp.  I'm happy I was given an offer, but SURELY you realize this is not exactly life-changing news...at all?

Company X, take a risk!  Invest in the new, inexperienced talent that is knocking at your door - tested and approved with FLYING COLORS.   Forget the darn recession and take on a new worker who could help drive a new system for your old institution.  We all know where the old has gotten you thus far.

...Well, thanks for letting me know that I'm FREElance.  Free to be financially unstable, medically in danger, and have my resume look like cow manure.  :-\

Be well,  

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you know this, but the trick is to amass a number of freelance jobs so that you can pay bills, have some freedom and actually enjoy what you do. Over time and with a good product, you'll get referrals, gain a following and have more freedom to turn down work.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites