Monday, August 3, 2009

*Alert* New Strain of HIV Found!

Be Safe Readers! Keep it wrapped- keep it tight!


"French researchers have identified a new human immunodeficiency virus, the first derived from gorillas, a report said Monday."

The other three strains (I had no idea there were three!!) were found in chimpanzee's.

"The new virus, called RBF 168, was detected in a 62-year-old woman who moved to Paris from the western Africa nation of Cameroon[...]The new gorilla virus "has many of the biological properties necessary for human infection[.]"

"The human case described here does not seem to be an isolated incident, as before coming to Paris the subject had lived in the semiurban area of Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon, and reported no contact with apes or bush meat[...] That would indicate that the woman contracted the virus from another human."


Forgive me for being ignorant on the subject (I hope to remain so in many respects...) but I thought that HIV was only contracted through the transmission of bodily fluids (i.e. saliva, blood, ejaculate). The subtle mention of bush meat scares me. Granted...I dont eat human flesh but you can contract HIV from eating cooked meat? Or is this a reference to eating raw bush meat? Someone help me out!

Here's the Source if you want to read for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. hmm. yeah. I don't know what they mean by "bush meat" but I'll continue to do my part in trying not to get ANY form of HIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its pretty much any and everything you can catch walking around in the "bush" ...here's a definition from the greatest source of all- Wikipedia! Lol

    Bushmeat is the term commonly used for meat of terrestrial wild animals, killed for subsistence or commercial purposes throughout the humid tropics of the Americas, Asia, and Africa.
    Bushmeat species include apes, other primates, ungulates, rodents, and birds. The species hunted depend on the geographical area, e.g. no apes in the Americas, and preferences and taboos of the hunters.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites