Monday, May 4, 2009

Spring Cleaning - U Like Clutter My A$$

I work best in organized chaos!!  I need clutter to function!
How often have you heard or perhaps uttered these words as a defense for someone's lifestyle?  Personally, this was a Go-To excuse in explaining my messy room throughout my college years...and I believed it.  Moreover, it seemed a lot of my peers shared the same belief or what I now accept as a misguided justification for their laziness, slothful behavior, slightly masochistic nature, ... and "FUNG WAH" lifestyle (see this post by a fellow blogger).

Well, unfortunately, old habits die hard, and even today I find myself looking around my room wondering why I just won't put my clean clothes in my dresser/closet.  Do I really need to have piles of old papers and mail on my floor?  The truth of the matter is that I DON'T function better in clutter.  I'm just trying to persuade myself that this is comfortable for me.

HA.  This is not comfortable.  Some Wisdom:  When you reach the point where you get frustrated and unsettled just by entering or even at the sight of your room, YOU ARE NOT Comfortable.  Sure, you may log onto the Internet and watch TV to distract yourself for a time, but when you finally look up and around your abode & haven, unless you are smiling and happy to see your room so "chaotically organized,"  you really are not comfortable.  Honestly think about it.

Well, Spring is upon us.  I've never been a practicing member of the "Spring Cleaning movement," but 5 months of the same room and watching it remain completely cluttered wears at the once default "Cozy Clutter" arguments.  

Also, you naturally begin to wonder if the state of your room does actually reflect your mind and lifestyle at the moment.  If so - my mind and life contains EVERYTHING I NEED and WANT, but is disorganized, stifling (limited mobility), holds lots of old baggage and garbage that I've refused to toss out, and is improperly managed.  

Today, I'm starting with the piles of clothes and then working my way through the papers.  I'm going to test out my functionality in a more Open and Organized environment (that even sounds better). Indeed, it's true when they say  it's never too late to make a change, BUT you have to make a conscious effort to start.  The First Step is Always the Hardest.  Wish me luck in recovering my room and my life.

Be Well, 

3 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh because it totally describes me! If I walked into someone's apartment and it looked like mine, I would be completely grossed out. so why is it okay for me to live in my own mess?

    The ONLY time I get the urge to clean is when I'm about to have a booty ca--oops ummm I mean "company" come cover, and even then, I just take everything in my living room and throw it in the closet. needless to say, the closet has been a dangerous door to stand in front of. the hinges even broke off the closet door. I started cleaning the closet yesterday so now everything is in my living room. I started with the clothes and then I'll do papers. I have homework from 8th grade, old love letters, pictures, magazines that I've outgrown(CosmoGirl & Word Up), most of my high school and college books, newspapers...EVERYTHING! WHY???????????

    Anyway, good luck in cleaning and thanks for the shout out. FUNG WAHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should sooooooooo read my post about ADD...i think you have it :) (its a good thing!)

    READ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahha that was a great post on ADD - maybe I do have it. My friends would be a good judge of that, BUT I'm not scheduling any psychiatric appointments and getting meds any time soon, lol. I've survived just fine thus far...or have I.

    Wait, i'm not officially diagnosed yet, haha! Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites