Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Job Update - My Excitement & Worries

Hey all,

I hope you had a great Memorial Day Weekend. As if blogging on this site isn't enough, my application to become an "Examiner," a subject-specific columnist for the Examiner.com, was accepted on Saturday! This means, I have a job!...wait...a freelance position where I earn money based on the number of readers who view my page. Hmmm....this is sounding less like a job and more like a side venture. Yep, I'm still calling myself unemployed... *sigh*

Even though I still don't have a steady salary through Examiner.com, the offer is exciting because it will allow me to gain a great deal of column writing experience and broaden my readership! My profile on Examiner.com will link back to TheRGC (here), so the additional exposure should be very good for this blog. I've been commissioned to write articles on the young adult experience and youth academic/program exploits in my local area. Of course, i can and WILL write more generally; I'm hopeful that I will find some success with this new position and receive some MUCH needed money SOON.

I'll let you guys know a bit more of the details about my "job" in next Monday's entry. The Examiner.com position will definitely entail a lot of writing, but fortunately I've rediscovered my appreciation for the art.

So to put EVERYTHING in perspective for YOU (and remind myself) on JUST HOW FLAKY my existence is right now...

1. Working on my music demo (singer/songwriter) - nearly done
2. Writing for TheRGC.blogspot.com - my pride and joy
3. Volunteering on 2 youth programming boards for a non-profit organization - Soul satisfying
4. Appointed and actively "working"(pro bono of course) on a government committee that oversees the state's Juvenile Justice system - mentally stimulating, soul satisfying
5. Living at home with the family still - Accustomed
6. Very quickly approaching broke...that savings account is feeling the pressure - BIG STRESSER

Yes, my life is almost thrilling at the moment, but where's the stability? I'm actually considering applying for another volunteer position tomorrow - helping some people with a political campaign. I'll also be attending two career fairs later this week - Wednesday and Thursday.

Oh goodness, it just hit me! My situation just hit me!
MAKE IT STOP! There's got to be a way for me to get rich off of my present existence. I know I'm developing a ton of skills and experience for my next real job. Additionally, I will have great stories to tell my kids and grandchildren. After all, my "20-something years" have been quite adventurous and tumultuous thus far.

On a serious note: I desperately need something mildly lucrative and stable to at least EMERGE this week. Please pray for me. Let me know your story, if you want me to send you some positive energy and/or prayer.

*Currently listening to Erykah Badu's "Otherside of the Game" and hearing this lyric repeat over and over: "Work ain't honest but it pays the bills." Maybe I'll start evaluating my illegal employment options, haha.

Stay Positive
Be well,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites