Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Where are the children?

Or...Where are the GRANDchildren?!?!

I had a Life Plan. I've had a Life Plan since I was 4. I was going to be a cop, a firefighter, and/or a doctor. I also thought that I would be out in the workforce by age 5. Hahahaha When you're 4, it's easy to overestimate your abilities.

I have deviated SO far from that Life Plan...even after I've made the necessary adjustments when taking REALITY into consideration.

The Life Plan
*Finish college- by age 21
*Go to grad school immediately afterwards- by age 22
*Sometime during the grad school years, I would get married- by age 24
*A year after I get married, I would have my first baby- by age 25
*Finish grad school
*Get a job that pays a gazillion dollars.

How am I doing so far?

*I finished college a year behind schedule. But at least it's done.
*I haven't applied to grad school. I haven't even looked into the PhD programs. I really need to get a handle on that.
*I'm close to being 24 but far from getting married.
*If I'm not close to being married, I'm even farther away from having a baby. Call me old-fashioned, but I would much rather do the baby thing AFTER the I Do.
*My 4-figure bank account is definitely not due to me spending my gazillions.

Babies...I'm an only child so I plan on a LOT of babies. At the very least, three. My mom has told me that I shouldn't worry about raising them on my own if I'm in grad school when I have them. She'll help me. So she wants me to shoot 'em out and hand them off to her for a few years. Tempting.

A few months ago, she mentioned that she hopes to be a grandmother this year. I think she should REALLY take that wish back before it comes true because there WILL be babydaddy drama if I get preggers now with not even a boyfriend in sight.

I'm constantly reminded by my mother that I'm not getting any younger. According to the CDC, the average age of mothers in NY State when they have their first child is 22.5. So, I'm behind schedule. But the average age of Chinese mothers when they have their first child is over 30 years old, and the average age overall is 27.2 So I still have some time according to people outside of NYS.

But my plan is still my plan despite whoever else is poppin 'em out. I've conceded to having my first child by the time I'm 30. I really hope I don't have to push that timeline back farther. So guys out there, I am for real so don't F around with me.

Anyone else find it funny that the first link on Google about the average age of first CHILD/PREGNANCY is from the CENTER OF DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION?!?! Hahaha...Pregnancy. The disease.

5 comments:

  1. I've pushed mine back to like 35 lol. I still want my triplet boys buuuuuut I want to have been a lawyer for awhile first and have a nice savings, car, house and...oh yea... a man too. If I'm on track to be a partner in the firm (i.e. make tons of money) then... I'll just adopt when I'm in my 40 or 50s lol. As bad as this is going to sound... I dont want to stop my life plan to have children. I have had these plans for a while now and it may be a little selfish but since I dont have any children right now or a man lol my decision is not hurting anyone else. My parents and I know that I'm not ready for children and won't be for awhile and they are definately not rushing me to have children. Also I won't be denying them grandchildren per se because I have 2 brothers and 2 stepsisters...I'm sure someone will pop something out! :P

    Its feasible to work and all of that with children, I have personally seen it done, but I want to be able to do everything for my kids. My parents did what they could but they'd miss this game or that performance because of work and I don't want that for my kids. I want to be there for everything possible: first school play, first soccer/basketball/football game, karate tournaments, help get them ready for first date/dance. EVERYTHING (without being overbearing obviously lol). I dont want them to ever have to worry about money for clothes or class trips or even their first car. Can't do all of that and be a lawyer...kids might have to wait many many years.

    P.S. I'm sure I'd have spousal support in terms of money but you never know what might happen. That's why a nice amount in my personal savings would be key. Love doesnt seem to last very long these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls and their "pop something/them out" comments! ugh, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Southern Substance! Why have kids before you're truly stable? My opinion, if one can't fully support herself and a kid for at least the first few years, then she shouldn't even be considering it.

    I hear you on the biological clock. The odds of complications increase once a woman hits 30, but so many women are having babies later these days, without too many issues. It's doable. I would imagine that the average age for first time pregnancy in NY State is so low because of the prevalence of teen pregnancy. Why even take that number into account? I used to want kids in my mid-twenties, expecting my career to be well under way. My plan has definitely changed. Honestly, I feel liberated. I will live my life dreams. A man and kids will come when they do and I will take the appropriate steps to ensure that life hums along as smoothly, but most importantly as happily, as it can.

    You can have both, stop planning, and start living! You'll likely only frustrate yourself for not living up to hard set plans. And I am by no means advocating abandoning a vision just losing the rigidity of it; life doesn't work that way. Perhaps, it would be boring if it would. Maybe things happen and we are lead down new and unexpected paths only to achieve more than we had ever hoped. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well be happy you don't have to live up to people in your family everyone in my family have had there first born by 22 so be happy about that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites