Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let's Chat God...

Lord they really think they fooling you
By coming to church on Sunday,
Praying and laying hands on folks
Stomping and jumping around faking the holy ghost.

But its a thin line between walking it and talking it
Living it and giving it or just pretending it's alright.
And did they really think that they could pull the wool over your eyes Lord?
Did they really think that by faking they were saved that they would get the same reward?
------------------------------------------------------------

Yea…I’m goin’ there today. Religion time!!




The lyrics/video above are from a song I was listening to yesterday which sparked my interest in posting on religion. The guy is an amazing singer; there’s a lot of soul and pain in his voice but this song gets me every time. Makes me think…. I have been so disillusioned by "The Church” (I’m including all of them in one little nutshell lol) these days that I refuse to go. I like God…don’t get me wrong…whether or not he likes me is a different story, but I do try to be a good person and follow His word. I’m not well-versed on all of the religions out there nor am I attempting to be but I do like to learn and I love to meet people from different religions and cultures and pick their brains. I haven’t even finished the bible…don’t judge me!

I do know for sure that I am totally turned off (lol) by the institutions surrounding religion these days. Every day you hear about some priest/pastor soliciting prostitutes, stealing from the church, molesting children. What the HELL is up with that?! These are our religious leaders- supposedly pillars of the faith who have given themselves to God/Allah etc and they can’t keep their hands to themselves? Even if I happened to be into little kids (definitely definitely not!), I’m pretty sure the stigma of my position as a religious leader could at least keep that urge in check. Apparently not…. What’s worse is…when the church/institution finds out…these perverts get a slap on the wrist!! Transferred to some random part of the country/world for a few years until the problem “goes away”. And you want me to come in to your doors, give you massive donations weekly, confess my sins to you (I’m not Catholic…but just saying), and let you tell me how to live my life righteously…. HELL NO.

While we’re on the topic…let’s talk about these massive donations. Now, I don’t know about all of these institutions, but it is common in black comedy to hear the comedian ask about the “church building fund” . I.E. –


The pastor is a pimp! He comes in every week in a nice new suit, driving a hot car and asking us for donations for the building fund. What building fund!?! This church hasn’t had any building done since I’ve been here!

Usually they're really saying that the pastor is using the money for himself or for some unnecessary things for the church. Let’s chat here…I’m from Atlanta, right? Well…ever hear of Creflo Dollar (lol @ that name by the way!)? Well, he has one of the mega-churches down here in Georgia. Its HUGE! HOW BIG DOES YOUR CHURCH NEED TO BE?! Need I remind you…Jesus preached outside, thanks. In this case...there is actually some church building going on but its already to the point that people have to watch him speak via closed-circuit t.v.'s because they cant actually see him from where they are sitting. I might as well stay home then...what's the point?And...people give so much to this church that they cannot pay their own bills but the size of the church steadily grows and you rarely hear about these mega-churches giving back. Sometimes…but not often.

Just sit and think for a moment…how many religious scandals have you heard of thus far this year…2009? I’ve seen many in the headlines. I’m talking drugs, prostitutes, child molestation. Google this stuff. You will see. Now I’m not holding these people to some unrealistic ideal…they are human, despite whatever vows they made…but come on!! How can you hold your head up high when telling your followers not to sin when you are knee deep in your own??





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites