Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Crying Game


Are you familiar with a zero sum game? It is a game where, for you to gain something, someone has to lose something. I'm currently in the running for a ridiculously prestigious internship that would literally set me up for life. If I get it, I have a job practically guaranteed at one of the top firms in the world upon graduation... I can honestly say that taking that opportunity away from someone else doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm just antsy because I might not get it.

I love food. It is my one true indulgence. Price is no object and I embrace gluttony. These days I'm capable of finishing a large pizza with the works by myself. When I used to go to restaurants in NY, I could finish a 1lb burger before other people took two bites. This is a problem. I'm not as young as I used to be, I'm fatter than I used to be, and I don't lose weight as readily as I once did. I do love food, but I'm also very very vain so I had to find a way to make the two things works. So, at some point, I had to make a choice. Paradigm shift. Priority reassessment. So now I'm trying to live healthyish.

What does that mean? I love being a glutton, and don't have the heart to deny myself anything. Each Christmas for the past 10 years, I've given myself the gift of 20 Cinnabons and each Christmas those 20 Cinnabons are gone within four to five days. So, with the knowledge that I tend to eat vast quantities of food, I had to play to my strengths. One of those is that I usually don't really get hungry. Sure, some days I wake up with hunger pangs and have to eat breakfast, but most days I can hang out till mid afternoon with no desire to eat aside from the desire created by being aware that societal norms dictate that I should have eaten several meals already.

And thus came about my strategy for healthy living. I just eat one huge meal a day. Today for example, I'm preparing a delicious rack of ribs which I plan to demolish for dinner. While that will push me over the acceptable threshold for the day, that's fine since today is a gym day!

I just had a memory of a fun convention I went to at my undergrad.

4 comments:

  1. lol

    I have been playing the dieting game for a bit now and have shed about 15 lbs now. The key is not to eat one large meal - its to eat 2 large ones and like 2 or 3 snacks in between (when u get hungry). This is today's menu:

    Breakfast: Egg-white Omelette with peppers and tomatoes, 1 piece of wheat toast (cheated a bit)

    Snack: 15 Wheat Thins with a Slice of Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss Cheese Spread

    Lunch: Steak and a side of baked apples (pie without the bad stuff nom nom)- eating this now yumm.

    Snack: Mixed assortment of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries with a side of plain yogurt

    Dinner: Stuffed Chicken Breast (apples and cheddar inside...try it...its really good) cooked in white wine and a Pineapple/Mango/Strawverry smoothie (Collis Cafe' style with the honey, guava juice, yogurt)

    Its working wonders and I'm never hungry. Now if I add the gym in I'm sure I could drop 2 more sizes woot! I was surprised at how much out there is actually low-carb (thats the plan I'm following) and therefore, edible. Go on allrecipes.com and click on the low-carb tab...the list goes on and on with recipes you can eat. I don't even feel like I'm dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and...is that why you kept saying "I hear you got fat?" to me on WoW? To make yourself feel better?! I did gain a bit but it and some of that EBAs from Dartmouth are gone too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice pic...
    Congrats on the internship prospects

    Fitness experts would flip out over your diet plan. 1 large meal per day = maybe, but you won't be able to keep that up at Law School where you'll be snacking as much as you used to, if not more. So you may want to get in the "better" habit of frequent smaller meals and exercise...but what do i know? Like you, I don't get hunger "pangs" (never used that word before, thanks) and eat 1 or 2 bigger meals per day... with a fruit or slice of bread here or there.

    My point is, your "paradigm shift" will not be longstanding if it involves preparing racks of lamb as the one source of nutrition per day. Why? Either Law School will take away the time required to prepare such gluttonous delicacies or you'll die earlier than you would otherwise. Eat some salads and vegetables...clear those bowels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. but guy...ur appetite was what you were KNOWN for in college!!! (well..for activities that required you to leave the dorm...or not even)

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites