Monday, June 8, 2009

Ugly "Face" but U "Tweet" Well? ...I'll Still Holla

Two months ago I hated Twitter. I also thought MySpace was the sketchiest website I'd heard of since BP (the "right" people will already know what BP was).  I saw Twitter as a silly website devoted to Facebook status updates and thought, "Why?! ... how original." I wasn't buying the news reports saying that it would be the next wave in communication or news dissemination.

And MySpace?  Oh, that site was purely a hookup destination where the loneliest and horniest people gathered under the pretense of networking.  

No, even though I started accounts on both Twitter and MySpace, I was not in any way compelled to use them.  Facebook, was my one-stop destination where I could chat with the people I know (with real birth names), check status updates, wish people Happy Birthday, and look at/post pictures and links.   I was probably near addicted to the site.

...Boy have things changed!  I rarely log in to Facebook these days, and when I do, it's strictly to accomplish task A and B.  Done.  Log out. 

"What?!  What's your problem? ...Oh, Facebook says it's your birthday?  Guess what, I wouldn't know and no longer care."

I'm not going so far as to say I hate Facebook, but since they made the latest major layout change back in April, I just haven't found any appeal to the site.  The layout changes made an already complex site more confusing and harder to maneuver.  Click this link to see photo updates.  Click here to see links posted by friends.  Click here to see notes.  No, I liked having one simple stream of data that updated on the home page.  

Just as my disapproval of Facebook's "clutter" began to grow, I decided to try Twitter out again and promote this blog, The RGC.  In doing so, I finally realized the power and appeal of the site.  Unlike Facebook, where info is restricted to approved friends, everyone has access to info and updates of Twitter.  You can reach out to strangers and bypass all the BS updates and staged photo albums that were consuming your time on Facebook.   Furthermore, the networking power of the site is ridiculous, as people with like interests will post on similar topics and, through Twitter's search feature, are drawn to each other.  

Twitter recently added a feature called "Trending Topics" which is incredible to me.  It lists the top subjects people are tweeting about, and is surprisingly a great news/happening update service.  I found out about Air France, Eminem & Bruno, and the Kobe & Lebron puppet commercials all from clicking on the trending topic links to see what was popular.

Facebook is becoming simply a vanity site.  It's selfish, people trying to make themselves as interesting/awesome as possible and only involves people you already know.  Honestly, I don't know how I got sucked into that mess because acquaintances are acquaintances for a reason.  I don't need to know everything about your life and you don't need to know about mine.  Trust me, I'm more than happy to reconnect with old friends, but my interest in them and sharing my life is dwindling.  As you grow older you realize that too much info is mind clutter and that the past should sometimes remain a pleasant memory.

With Facebook, however, the damage has already been done.  Now every student or recent graduate has a plethora of pictures tagged or untagged circulating on the Internet, waiting to come back to haunt you when you least expect it.  You can only hope friends didn't snap away and post the really bad ones.   

As for MySpace, as a musician, I've come to realize the value of the site - discovering, connecting, and previewing new talent.  I've already made VERY real connections on MySpace (and Twitter) so I'm shedding my initial dark judgement and frequenting the site a bit more.  

Perhaps how I feel will change, but for now I'm rapidly moving forward with Twitter and MySpace and leaving the overflowing mind-dump of Facebook behind...gradually.

Be Well.

13 comments:

  1. BP...MG...AA...all of them. ALL HILARIOUS THO

    yea FB is gettin on my nerves. But there is so much attached to it that i can't let go. i mean it def has some stuff on there that's not present in myspace or twitter. I've let myspace go. i check once in awhile, just because. it's sketch to the max. plus i'm not jonesing to see other women's titties.

    twitter is ok tho. i have to say, following celebs b/c they want you to, kinda fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...I can't remember a day in college when I didn't log onto facebook. Strangely enough though...two weeks after graduation, I felt like a Pedo if I logged on.

    I mean...THOSE ARE KIDS ON THERE...and I'm grown. I've maybe logged on 3 times since June of 07...It used to be three times an hour. Things started changing when they allowed high school kids on there and when adults started becoming more frequent visitors. I deleted all of my tags (fucking stop retagging me Gotham...shit!!!) so that I could add aunts and uncles without them being able to judge me (havent done that yet because the sketchy drunk pics are still there....). It was GREAT when it was just you and other college students...now...I'm being friended by my stepsisters friends whom I have never met and old people (ewwww) who I don't know.

    Facebook...is the new myspace (minus the creepy hookup messages ...well...you dont get them as often!). People just use myspace to find cuties and then send them a message- they're not adding old friends or people they know anymore- just using it for hook ups! I have like 20 people on facebook waiting to be friended by me...we have no friends in common, I dont recognize them, we don't even live on the same side of the country! Yet...we're destined to be friends? No...

    AND YES!!! I miss the old facebook layout. When they changed it...it definitely killed it for me. I logged on once and could not figure out how to see peoples updated pics...stupid site!

    Twitter's fun if you really have nothing to do for a few hours a day...if you only have a minute or two here or there...not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone summarized the point of twitter in a way that made perfect sense to me: twitter is about content. You follow people because you're interested in what they have to say, whether it's because they're your friends, because they're celebrities, or just interesting people. Facebook, on the other hand, is much more about the connections than the content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arcady - that's a good summary. And I think I stopped really liking Facebook when it started becoming heavily content focused instead of connection centered - Applications, games, photos, videos, updates, notes, links, etc. When i befriended people it was to maintain a connection, not to be hurled into their daily existence.

    Like you said, with Twitter you're only choosing whose content you want to follow. I didn't know that Facebook was going to "make" me follow the content of every accepted "friend" - Lord knows I'm not that interested in everyone. It was good and appreciated for a while, but now it's just a bit overwhelming... And I have no interest in taking the time to adjust my account settings and screen the content, case by case, of 700+ people

    Sometimes one's interest in a site just doesn't evolve with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been asked for hookups on FB...

    twice.

    Little brothers of friends. WTF?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. same...

    from a friend's bro that I used to BABY SIT. He's like 9 years younger than me! Ewewewewewewewewwewewewewew. I mean...I always felt like he had that crush on me but I'm like IM 22 AND YOU'RE LIKE 15 ...EWWWWWWWWWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9 years?! who's the C. Mol. NOW?!?! crown passed right back to you, SS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pft...I wanted NONE of that ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would have to do something to/with the child to seduce them. I simply baby sat- which often meant that I sent him outside and sat on the porch watching him and his friends play. Reaaaaaaaaaal seductive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ay...stranger things have aroused males

    (one of the lil brothers never even met me...now THAT is sketch)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yo...facebook is about to launch the USERNAME thing...wtf?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The layout changes made an already complex site more confusing and harder to maneuver."

    UGH when I first joined, it took me 4 months to figure out how to comment and then they went and changed things! I HATE APPLICATIONS TOO!

    I'm a social networking junkie. I've bent them all over, had my way with them, put the money on the night stand and left. My new whore is twitter. I'm only there because it's the *in* place to be...just like changing your profile picture to one with a green overlay to support something or other is the *in* thing to do. I'm a follower on the internets! don't let these people start jumping off of bridges!

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites