Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I call Bullshit


My Bus Stop!

Bit of a conundrum here… need to write my recommendations for Law School.
Now…I know what you’re thinking. What do you mean…write YOUR recommendations? Let’s just say I’m very slick…

I knew within the first week which associates/partners I wanted to write my recommendations based on their interactions with me. I hate to say it…but I used my gender and race cards to get what I wanted. I usually hate relying on these things to make it through and hope to let my merit alone to take me far…but…in this world…it’s not reasonable to rely on just your skills anymore. You need a network…and if my network has to be initially based on frivolous or base things to get my foot in the door…so be it. Eventually people will respect me for my abilities…again…foot in the door.

So yea…using those cards to pique the interest in me from some of the associates in this firm, I was quickly able to decide who I wanted to participate in the writing of my recommendation. I knew I was going to actually write it- there was no question about that- just needed a good signature on the bottom. Luckily one of the associates and I have a very cool relationship; we always joke around with each other and he’s definitely a mentor to me. He’s given me some great advice and a lot to think about in terms of whether or not this is the career for me. He’s also constantly asking me to do things for him that aren’t technically in my job description. I always joke and say I’m going to place those in my recommendationll (I will….). The other guy is a Partner (woot!) and I’m pretty sure he would also give me a recommendation. He’s a little more strict on placing his signature on things that he himself didn’t write…so he may actually want to do it. I’m just going to wait until he’s suuuuper busy and then do my ask and offer situation i.e. "Hey...can you write me a recommendation?...I know you're really busy and I hate to ask....Hey! I could write a very rough draft and maybe you can edit it to your liking..." We’ll see how that goes. Worked on the Associate...

---------------------

As for the actual recommendation…haven’t written a damn thing. What can I say about myself!? How can I cram my myriad qualities (lolol) into a one-page deal? One…I don’t want it to sound like I wrote it myself… I guess I kind of have a very distinctive (poetic, if I do say so myself) writing style which would be obvious if my recommendation and essays were compared. So I have a few weeks to learn to write like a totally different person- a busy lawyer with a lot on their plate- while still saying so many great things about myself. Two…I don’t want to blow myself up too much in the letter and make it sound like we are sleeping together or something like that. I’m thinking there’s a limit to how many good things I should say about myself… maybe hit the big 4 (organized, good time management, excellent speaking/writing ability, hard-working/driven) and then touch on some of the more personalized stuff for this job and the things outside of my own work that I do. Also, if filler is needed, maybe hit on some of the “sacrifices” I make: coming in on weekends, coming in 2 hours before everyone else and leaving after them, available to work for other teams if necessary, etc. Sound good ya think?

My Outline is below! Give me advice ! (Its ugly because this stupid blog wont let you space things properly! sorry!)


---------------
I. Intro-
a. Recommender info: Name, Job Title, Name of firm. Where they went to law school (if applying to same school)
b. Brief description of applicant’s job and how long you have known her and how closely you have worked with her.
i. Job title and what it entails
ii. Team size (compare to other teams who have more people in this position and less associates/partners)
II. Qualities/Skills that make her excellent candidate for law school (about one sentence each…)
a. Organizational-
b. Time management- balancing many projects with general ease but willing to put the necessary time in
c. Writing/Speaking ability
d. Hard-Working/Driven/Passionate etc
e. Anything else?
III. Personal experience with this candidate
a. Personable, Trust-worthy – I know if I give her a task it will be done quickly and efficiently and will be exactly what I’m looking for. Often just give her a case and say “get it done” without further instructions and it is done to my taste (able to guess and gauge what the finished product needs to be with little instruction).
i. Possible example (doubt there will be room- but if so…filler)
b. Positive attitude
c. Eagerness to learn and ask questions (does this detract from the above “get it done without further instructions?”
d. Other-
i. In addition to all that she does for our team, she is also willing to help other teams in need and take others’ workloads if they need the help. She has acted as a back-up secretary for me- proofing letters, and [insert other secretarial thing]- and is always willing to stay late and come in on weekends to make my life easier (expound on this).
IV. Statement to the effect of “Yes please take this B*#&* You will like her- I promise".

:D


2 comments:

  1. Blame blogspot- looks much neater and prettier in word. I tried to make it pretty though which may actually be the cause of the dizziness.

    Oh well- too lazy to change <3.

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites