Friday, June 19, 2009

Not Quite the 40 y.o. Virgin


Cut to the chase - I'm still a virgin. Guess what? I don't have a problem with that or any intention of losing my virginity anytime soon.

Let's first clarify one thing - I, like you, am a sexual entity. I too get "urges" and ...really horny at random times, but I've drawn two conclusions:

1. I have a lower libido than most
2. I have a ridiculous amount of self-control (I know this is true...just curious about the 1st conclusion)

At 20+ years of age, I still haven't had ANY sexual experiences with another. I've had my fair share of offers and VERY close calls, but in all situations my mind proved stronger than my body, and I pushed the breaks hard and fast. I'm just a different kind of guy, and I embrace this.

I've always been more attracted to one's psyche than physicality. Sure, I can get turned on by a really hot person, but I am MOST attracted when I am intrigued by and enamored with someone's personality and character. A genuinely good/deep/fun person has more power over me than the hottest chick in the universe. I put little value in the physical because, as we all know, it WILL CHANGE over time and is ONLY SKIN DEEP. Think about standing outside a beautifully landscaped/constructed house and stepping inside to find lopsided rooms, leaky pipes, mildew on the walls, and corroded floors. Now consider a humble looking home that within contains the most lavish, eclectic, charming layout and mix of items (oh, and the windows are numerous and crystal clear). I don't know about you, but I'm choosing the house with the humble exterior.

In fact, all remotely intelligent home buyers check out the interior of a house before making any major investment. I (will) take the same approach in making decisions about sex.

Sex is a MAJOR INVESTMENT to me. There are emotional connections formed that never break. There are also insane risks including pregnancy, STI's, and AIDS. Combine that with my Christian upbringing and innate understanding of morality and you may grasp why I'm still a virgin.

When I do have sex, I want it to be with someone I trust, admire, feel a physical attraction towards, and respect. Call me picky, but one's physical alone just isn't great enough to make me take the risk.

I've survived thus far without having sex and, as I haven't tasted of "that fruit" yet, I honestly feel I could live my entire life contently without it. Believe it or Not, Ripley, but it's my truth. What's yours?

Read these lyrics from India Arie's song, "Part of my life:"

Oh it's easy to find someone to play with
and almost anyone will do to fill your idle time
but that very special someone
you can share all your dreams with is so hard to find

And it used to be like me to settle for the physical
but these days it ain't too easy to make up my mind
cause apparently your body is just too temporary to take up my precious time

See I've got to know that
that I can be free with you and
you've got to show that
that you're worthy of my time
can you stimulate my mind?

And I know that it looks good,
but can you be a part of my life
and I'm sure that it feels good
but can you be a part of my life
and it probably even tastes good
but can you be a part of my life
I've got to know



Be Well,

1 comment:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites