Monday, March 23, 2009

Random Necessity

This weekend while in route to a friend’s apartment in NY, a good friend and I were discussing how people just don’t get me. About 2 minutes into the conversation, I was randomly and perhaps rudely interrupted by a man who felt compelled to interject. This same man had already interrupted our discussion once before just to compliment my friend’s purple scarf and tell us how his girlfriend’s purple outfit was stolen. It was clear to everyone on the bus that this stranger likely had some personal issues, but rather than ignore him, I allowed him to interrupt a second time to put forth his commentary… I was left surprised and pensive at the man’s words: “I get you. You’re like the wind. You go with the flow, but you’re focused.”

I had never before heard a more correct, more concise description of my nature. Moreover, most of my acquaintances and “lesser friends” don’t even seem to know me as well as this stranger did after 5 minutes of interaction. Many of them actually would consider me an apathetic lackey or “yes man” that goes with the flow. Do I care? No, because those individuals ultimately weren’t worth my time. On the contrary, just like the wind I have a defined direction, but my energy and support for people and things can dissipate in a moment’s notice. The wind is free after all and has no corporeal master. Now, thanks to a random bus conversation and a willingness to listen, I have a clearer understanding of myself.

Randomness is the key to gaining personal clarity and having a sensational life. It is in the random times and unexpected situations that people truly discover who they are and understand how they function. Normality is great but only teaches you how to exist efficiently and comfortably. Yes, anything random is uncertain, but uncertainty carries with it risks and opportunities – two fundamental aspects of a fulfilling life. Why do I call these “fundamental?” Simple, because risks and opportunities are the ingredients for “growth” in life.

Think about your favorite memories/experiences and you’ll probably realize that most of them did not involve plans or structure but were instances in which you let go of it all and went with the flow at random. Indeed, my fondest memories since entering the real world all stem from decisions to resist my innate controlling, practical nature and let randomness rule. Whenever I choose to give up the concerns, the plans, and the fears, I’ve noticed that I temporarily shed the shallow feeling of “existence” that often plagues many recent graduates and suddenly feel alive with child-like curiosity.

Not to get overly metaphorical but in allowing for randomness you are affording your body and mind the chance to mimic the free-flowing nature of the soul.

Sometimes it just pays to leave the directions, schedules, and plans behind. Use your mind and the signs to map out your course as you go. This way you’ll not only enjoy the final destination but also appreciate the journey itself.  

Random Experiences make for Sensational Living.

Sorry for the random entry

Be well,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites