Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Myspace...How do we connect?

I'm not going to go in depth about Myspace just yet. I will say that I have made some friends on Myspace, but unless I knew them in real life already, I'm not going to meet up with anyone from there. I'm WAY too paranoid about ish like being kidnapped, raped, killed, etc. to meet up with Myspace people. Besides, a lot of people on there are just mad sheisty and/or perverted.

I do want to ask people what they think about Myspace and virtual friendships. I've met some very interesting people out there on that site. But I don't go on there anymore. The appeal just isn't there like it used to be when I was like...19. There are other ways to meet strangers and to keep in touch with friends.

I personally don't like calling people on the phone because I hate catching people at a bad time and then trapping them in a phone conversation when they could be doing something else with their time. I usually don't mind when I get calls but I just don't feel comfortable making them myself. The calls I make are usually very utilitarian. They are mainly for functionality. Emails are like the snail mail of the modern virtual world. Emailing as a means of friendly correspondence is too slow for me. I enjoy IMing much more. I mean I definitely send my share of useless emails but those are usually reserved for mass emailing fun or for when I want to share something with someone but they aren't logged on to any IMing program at the moment. So, MY thing is I LOVE CHATTING. I do it for HOURS. I keep up with friends, a few cousins, and a few Myspace people. It's how I stay connected to people.

It's interesting how some Myspace people just kind of fall out of my radar or I fall out of theirs. Myspace is very shallow. I've friended lots of people based solely on looks and one or two things I like about their profiles. I've gotten plenty of friend requests with messages that comment on only the way I look. It's like a free dating service if people are into dating people they've met online. Shallow. It's okay. Sometimes you really get to know people like that. One guy I had talked to online stopped talking to me after MONTHS of failed attempts at getting me to visit him at his apartment. He did the nice guy thing. But all that goes out the window when he knows I know he has a girl and he's asking me to "chill" at his place at 4am. BOY, PLEASE. He's not the first to disappear. It's ok though. I have found some gems out there. =)

This entry was kind of choppy and unfocused. Sorry about that. But take a listen to these songs about Myspace people. They're kinda funny to me. What do you think?

Throwback song:


And a new song:


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites