Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Impressive Rejects - the College Grad

Musecatto here!

Jintian, zenmeyang? (Chinese - How's it going today?)

So today I had an interview at one of the top PR firms in the NE.  I'd met the CEO of this firm 3 weeks before, and he hired me on the spot.  According to him, all I needed to do was come in and find out where I would fit/negotiate salary.  Was I excited?  You bet...and today was the big day!

Long story short I met with the company's founder for an hour today and we absolutely hit it off (the founder is the father of the CEO).  We had a TON in common, established a great rapport, he called me very impressive/completely impressive at least 4 times, and described me as artistic - the type of employee he finds ideal for PR.  BUT THEN, as he reads my resume he says "I think you may be too good for PR."... ... ... Noooooo.  Outwardly, I remain calm for interview purposes, but internally I'm steaming.  This is the second time I've received such a response.  The first happened in 2007 when I was applying for an international sales position.  Much to my surprise, the company president called me "overqualified" and said the job was actually beneath me.  And Now, today, my interviewer (who saw so much of himself in me) seemed completely enamored with my life experiences, clubs, and interests,  intimating that I'd be doing myself a disservice working at his company... 

What does it all mean?  I just want a job.  Why can't they just take me anyway? Of course this frustrates me because it's hard enough getting a job as a recent college graduate, especially in this recession.  Most jobs I'm interested in require more experience than I can offer on paper, and now the few good companies that are getting back to me are telling me I'm meant to do something more. What type of predicament is this...

To be fair, I'm still in the running for the PR position that I interviewed for today.  Still, the company founder overtly stated that I should just brand and market myself because I have the most to offer as my own individual.  This same man is actually the one who instructed me to start blogging about my life (which I now am - I listen to the advice of wise and inspiring people) and offered to be my PR in the future.  

As disappointing/flattering/confusing as these experiences  have been, maybe there's some wisdom we can garner from this series of complimentary rejection.  

Maybe this curious experience vacuum is swallowing more college graduates than we think.  If so, is that a bad thing?  Are business professionals depriving younger talent of experiences need for true growth or are they sincerely encouraging us to courageously charter our own courses...to success, happiness, and fulfillment?

Seek and ye shall find. I'm thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites