Friday, February 6, 2009

Free-time = My Time

Fact:
When you leave your job, whether by choice or by force, you suddenly have a lot of free time.

Opinion:
You should use this newfound FREEDOM to do what you love and chase after what you desire (being practical of course).

I mentioned three blogs ago how about 3-4 weeks after quitting my job I found myself debating such things as whether to watch MTV or VH1 - what a choice, haha!  Well, I'm honest enough to admit that at that point I was being lazy, wasteful with my time, and stagnant.  Sure I needed time for myself, but what I quickly came to realize is that time watching TV in hopes of being mildly entertained wasn't actually taking time for myself; on the contrary it was me throwing time away.

Let's face it, life is about interaction, sharing our talents, learning, friendship, and broadening our horizons.  Where does lying in the bed for hours watching mindless shows fall in (clearly TV can be good on some levels.  Pinky and the Brain, Damages, and Heroes were/are great TV show)?  As a person who believes in destiny and purpose, I had to change, and while it's an ongoing process, I am making progress...

With that said check out the Hulu Super Bowl 2009 ad. It's fitting:



In 2008 I was completely and pleasantly surprised when I was officially appointed by my state governor to serve as a youth member of the state committee which distributes government funds and promotes programs for less-fortunate and delinquent youth.  This was an unanticipated honor, yet because of my last job and the stress/hours of work I rarely was able to attend the meetings.  As a recent graduate with bills and expenses, I'd already become consumed by the "rat race" and bought into the philosophy that making money was paramount. Nonetheless, I remember several occasions when I wanted nothing more than to attend a committee meeting. Inevitably, though, something major would happen at work preventing me from attending.

Having since quit, when I received notice of the February committee meeting I was excited about finally being available. It wasn't long though before I turned apprehensive, as my involvement had been so irregular prior to this.  Well, I bit the bullet and went to the meeting on this past Wednesday -  it was incredible to say the least.   Certainly, I had a great deal to catch up on including jargon and policy, but my "unfamiliarity" allowed me to bring a fresh and inquisitive perspective.  I dared to ask questions and offer uninformed but thoughtful opinions that ultimately sparked a reconsideration of how the committee would support and fund programs in the future.  The committee made progress and individual members thanked me for my ideas afterwards.  All of this came from daring to use my time to go after my interests and put aside fear.  I felt good...and that feeling is something you can ONLY get when an opportunity, your interest, and your effort align.  

Oftentimes fear of failure and even success can be the single reason why we don't achieve our full potential in life.   The bed, the couch, and the TV will always be there, but your time and talent are always ticking away.  

Unemployed?  Enjoy and use your time
Done with classes?  Enjoy and use your time
Vacation?  Enjoy and use your time

Free time doesn't equal time to kill...
Free time = Me time, whatever that may be for you

Be well

Seek and ye shall find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites