Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Backtracking Businesses & Gon' Postal Applicants

I have a great feeling about this week.  It SEEMS like the universe is finally responding to my more positive energy & outlook on my... situation.  Today I woke up to a legitimate personal reply to an application I'd sent out this past Friday.

I'd applied for a bunch of openings and was excited to read that a top PR firm wanted me to come in and interview for a position.  As I read the email, I tried to recall exactly what the position was so I did a backtrack Google search only to find that my excitement was about an UNPAID internship. "Okay," I thought, "It's a new experience for the resume and potentially a gateway position."  Two hours later, I get an email from the same PR firm saying "We apologize, but we've just found out the position has already been filled internally."

WAMP WAMP WAMP!  HR - get it together.

I shrugged this off because, after all, it was an UNPAID internship, and I would have lost a ton of money (that I don't have) traveling to and from the city.

After moving on and sending out a few more applications, I get an email from another potential employer.  This time it's from a music production company that is holding auditions for... "unknown."  They're apparently looking for contemporary singers that can dance, and since I do both, on Friday I'd directed them to my MySpace page for sound clips and pics.  Sure enough, they replied saying they'd like for me to come in and audition on this Wednesday, 7/15.  

Those who know me know that I buck up at most things involving music.  Even so, I was unclear about what I was actually auditioning for, so I sent them a follow-up email.  To my amazement they replied immediately, telling me the audition is for new singers in a high-end NYC event band.  AGAIN, another unconventional job opportunity, but I was still happy.  I love to audition, and the role would mean performance experience, exposure, and linkage to talented musicians.  The email said I would have to perform an uptempo song along with a ballad from a short list of selections - I will likely do "Sign Sealed Delivered" and "At Last."

Amidst my excitement and initial preparation for the audition (2 days away), I get an apologetic email from the music production company saying, "We're sorry.  The audition is actually on the 23rd."  These people better not be yanking my chain! So much for thinking things were happening quickly!

But here's my question - When am I going to get responses to the conventional employment applications that I sent out?  Or am I to expect the "recession status quo" on that front?  All I know is the employers/hiring officers for these alternative positions need to get their acts together before emailing applicants and scheduling interviews.  Times are tough and you never know.  One "accidental" email, like the ones I received, if sent to the wrong down-on-his-luck individual may send him over the edge.

We don't want people to start going postal.  Heck, I don't want to have to go postal! ...ha (jk?)

Be well,

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites