Monday, September 13, 2010

Good Intentions and DRAGONCON

Now that you got the drama side of me... (you know you wanted it!)...

I come with good intentions! Now that I live in such a cool area - I can finally do something that we had intended our blog to do - go out and give reviews of the city life around us!

Isn't that what post-graduate living is all about? We get to do the 9 to 5 but we have NO kids and NO marriage holding us back!!!

I'm attempting to stray away from the "I went out and got drunk and went to some club" posts though - I want to actually experience Atlanta. Yea - there will be some clubbing and drinks - but first - I want to do artsy fartsy stuff (lol).

There are tons of events going on in the next few weeks (I'm still wading through the list a friend sent) so I'll try to go to as many as possible!

1) Atlanta Chili Cook-Off!. MMMM FOOD!!! My stomach is already growling just thinking about this. Over 300 participants will be making chili with tons to give away as samples to attendees. I'm a little disappointed by the music for the evening, but...it's the South and it's not hosted by ethnic folk, so I can't expect some hip hop or R&B. Should be fun though!

2) Midtown Festival of the Arts . Now that's more like it! There will be artist booths, live music, demonstrations from local chefs (sooo interested in that). There's also something called "Plates on Peachtree" where you pay like $30.00 bucks and you get to walk around sampling some delicious sounding dishes made by local chefs from amazing restaurants. There's also a beer garden, which I'm less excited about but I know one of my friends will be so into that so we'll probably go. I wanted to volunteer...serving drinks of course...but Saturday is the chili cook-off so I can't do that and Sunday its during my online prep course. Too bad...

3) Habitat for Humanity - my firm is sponsoring a house with another firm! Finally - some charity work that doesn't involve just opening my wallet. We're going on the day where the roofing needs to be done. I'll have my will drawn up by then... I leave the name SS to whomever can be witty and bitchy enough to replace me!!!

4) Gay Pride Atlanta - there is usually something around Halloween so believe I'll be out in force to support my gay buddies! Coincidentally - this is the day before our LSAT scores are available on-line so I'll need to prepare with liquor beforehand!
-----------------------------------------------------
AND NOW....


DRAGONCON!!!

As you all learned, and probably have forgotten by now, I'm a nerd!!! I love video games, sci-fi stuff etc. Atlanta has this huge festival every year called DRAGONCON in which people come to town for a weekend and attend forums etc for their favorite shows. This is the weekend where you see klingons and storm troopers unite in harmony! I'm not THAT nerdy by the way... that doesn't get my juices goin'! There is a parade that is free to the public and, since it always seems to be in the building next to mine, tons of people watching in our joint food court. My friend and I took some pics from the people watching and the parade, so I've posted those below in addition to some links to other pics I found online. Some of these costumes were AMAZING!! Next year... I'm dressing up! Any ideas?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

ANNNND the coolest costume EVER!! (please click it - I'm too lazy to figure out how to re-size so the whole thing fits! lol)

Photobucket


Had a great time!!!

Here are some CNN news stories on it - in case you needed more information!

Dragoncon Costumes
What is Dragoncon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites