Friday, July 10, 2009

To Be or Not to Be



(Un)EMPLOYED!

Now...I've said it before- I am glad to currently be employed. Who knows where my family and I would be if I had not received this job. As my one year mark (July 15th) quickly approaches however, visions of the free life (sleeping in, etc) are creeping in and I am steadily preparing my resume for a different job- maybe something with different hours and a totally different set-up... who knows....

Pursuing dreams…that’s what I thought I was doing. Getting my foot in the legal door and getting my name out there so that when I applied to law school I’d be set- an easy “accepted”. It IS what I’m doing but I’m slowly starting to rethink and wonder to myself- is this what I want? 80 -90 hour work weeks. No time for family and friends. Is this my dream? Sure- the money is nice but what do I really want to do? What would make me wake up glad that I’m on my way to work rather than spending my weekend dreading Monday? I don’t know yet…

One good thing about employment at our age is that it never has to be permanent. A year here…a year there…no one’s going to judge your resume. The problem is…we just don’t have the time to dabble. You’re expected to know what you want to do essentially by 18 and at the latest 21 in order to be timely and efficient. After your college graduation…you either head to your career choice or continue schooling for that path. For the dabblers like myself…well…what can one say? I’m 24 and I have no idea what I want to do- no clear path. If I magically find something that I love…then…yay! My problem lies in working. Again…I appreciate the job. The problem is…I don’t have time to go out and discover what things I could love because of my current job! Who has time to take a class here or there or visit companies when you spend your days sleeping and/or working.

While writing this, an
article came to my attention about people who tweet/blog/facebook about their jobs and get fired (oh God I hope no one from my job reads this blog!). Nothing is sacred anymore!

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately my supervisor is totally computer illiterate. Often have I been the "hero" in fixing our computer at work.

    I'm in a similar debacle as you at the moment - my manager has really ineffective leadership skills and constantly leaves me thinking. "Wow...maybe if you were smarter I'd have more respect for you."

    Of course, I've been working in high-end retail for a little over a year now and it's certainly not where I thought I would be. Retail is my second job, as I'm slowly but surely getting my footing in my own field and my own career. It's a hard path to walk, though. There is a lot of self-doubt and fear that you'll make a wrong decision and one day you'll wake up with no job at all.

    Scary stuff. I'd love to talk with you more, you're a great writer and we seem to be at a really similar place in life. I posted as anonymous for a bit of anonymity on the web but if you'd like to talk further you're welcome to email me: rainsfragoon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Add to Technorati Favorites